[Solomonov Seminar] 213. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Mon Feb 1 04:55:15 CET 2010

V torek 2. februarja bo ob 13:00h v Oranzni predavalnici
(drugo nadstropje glavne stavbe IJS), 213. Solomonov seminar.
Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na http://videolectures.net/solomon/

Predaval bo Dragi Kocev na temo napovedovanja strukturiranih objektov
z mnozico (ansamblom) klasifikatorjev.

Dragi Kocev, IJS:
Ensembles for Predicting Structured Outputs: A Case Study in  Functional Genomics

Abstract:
In many real-world domains, such as bioinformatics (functional
genomics), text classification and image annotation, the goal is to
predict a complex output. For example, in functional genomics, the
goal is to predict the function of a gene, while the set of functions
can be organized as tree (FunCat) or graph (GO ontology).
In this talk, we present an approach for predicting structured outputs
using ensembles of trees. The proposed approach is scalable to large
datasets, different types of outputs and it is applicable to wide
range of domains. First, we describe the types of structured outputs
that we typically encounter, and then we explain the base classifiers
- predictive clustering trees (PCTs). Next, we discuss the ensemble
methods that we extended (bagging and random forests) to deal with
structured outputs and accordingly adapted the voting schemes.
Afterwards, we present experimental evaluation of the proposed
approach on wide range of real-world domains. At the end, we present
an application of the proposed approach in functional genomics and
show that our approach is competitive with state-of-the-art approaches.