[Solomonov Seminar] 99. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik@ijs.si
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:05:02 +0100

Vabim vas na 99. Solomonov seminar, ki bo v torek,
26. novembra 2002 ob 13. uri v Veliki predavalnici IJS
(1. nadstropje glavne zgradbe IJS). Posnetki in materiali
 preteklih seminarjev so dostopni na http://solomon.ijs.si/.

Tokratna tematika bo iz teorije programskih jezikov oz. o
formalizaciji povprasevalnih jezikov objektnih podatkovnih baz.
Kljub teoreticnemu predznaku tematike, bo predavatelj pojasnil
vse potrebno predznanje za razumevanje te teme.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gavin Bierman (University of Cambridge)
     Towards a formal understanding of object database query languages

In this seminar I'll cover work I have done whilst in Ljubljana.
I've been studying various proposals for query languages for
object databases, in particular the language OQL proposed
by the ODMG. I've developed a type system and operational
semantics for this language, and have proved some correctness
properties. There are some interesting complications with
this language, which justify the need for formality.

I'll cover this material and try to explain the formal techniques
that I have used - type systems and operational semantics.
(These are dominant themes in programming language research.)
This seminar should be interesting to people who use database
query languages and are interested in proposals for
future-generation databases.

I'll try to keep the talk self-contained, so hopefully people wont
need to know operational semantics before coming!