[Solomonov Seminar] 277. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Mon Dec 19 13:08:39 CET 2016

V sredo, 21. decembra 2016 bo ob 14:30 v Veliki predavalnici IJS 277.
Solomonov seminar. Velika predavalnica je v prvem nadstropju glavne
stavbe IJS na Jamovi 39. Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na
http://videolectures.net/solomon/

Jure Leskovec, Stanford University:

TITLE: Antisocial Behavior in Online Communities

ABSTRACT: User contributions in the form of posts, comments, and votes
are essential to the success of online communities. However, allowing
user participation also invites undesirable behavior such as trolling.
In the talk I will discuss antisocial behavior in three large online
discussion communities by analyzing users who were banned from these
communities. We will find that such users tend to concentrate their
efforts in a small number of threads, are more likely to post
irrelevantly, and are more successful at garnering responses from other
users. Studying the evolution of these users from the moment they join a
community up to when they get banned, we find that not only do they
write worse than other users over time, but they also become
increasingly less tolerated by the community. Our analysis also reveals
distinct groups of users with different levels of antisocial behavior
that can change over time. We will use these insights to identify
antisocial users early on, a task of high practical importance to
community maintainers.