[Solomonov Seminar] 240. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Mon Jan 16 07:32:09 CET 2012

V torek, 17. januarja 2012 ob 13h bo na IJS (Jamova 39) 240. Solomonov
seminar.
Predavanje bo predvidoma v Veliki predavalnici, mozno pa je, da bomo zaradi
interne IJS logistke morali predavanje prestaviti v predavalnico
Podiplomske sole IJS.
Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na http://videolectures.net/solomon/

Tokrat bo predaval gost iz podjetja "New York Times" na temo aktivnosti,
ki jih imajo v NYTimesu s svojim 160 let starim arhivom, ki vsebuje 15M
clankov.

Arhiv si lahko ogledate na naslovu:
http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/nytarchive.html

...kot zanimivost, si lahko tule pogledate porocanje NYTimesa iz 1895 o
potresu v Ljubljani:
http://bit.ly/wykznp

Predavatelj: Evan Sandhous, New York Times

Naslov: Administering A 160-year-old Database Knowledge Management At
The New York Times

Povzetek

The New York Times published its first issue on September 18, 1851. Over
58,000 days have passed in the ensuing 160 years and, in that time, The
Times has printed, indexed and databased well over 15 million articles,
reviews, editorials and obituaries. This is a lot of data. In my talk I
will discuss several interesting aspects of our knowledge management
history and detail three recent approaches The Times has employed to
manage our ever-growing news archive with an emphasis on Linked Data and
Semantic Markup. Specifically I will discuss our Linked Open Data
Initiatives and provide an overview of rNews - a recently-developed
standard for embedding publishing metadata in HTML documents.

O predavatelju:

Evan Sandhaus is the Lead Architect for Semantic Platforms at The New
York Times Company. In this role, Evan is spearheading The New York
Times Linked Data Strategy, developing industry-wide digital standards
for embedding publishing metadata into HTML documents, and developing
new digital products. Previously, Evan developed a patented technique
for identifying and removing template text from web pages, released 1.8
million documents to the computer science research community, helped to
put The New York Times on Google Earth, collaborated with New York
University to explore new directions in News Search, and worked to bring
The New York Times to Facebook.