[Solomonov Seminar] 182. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Sun Mar 11 23:30:41 CET 2007

Vabim vas na 182. Solomonov seminar, ki bo v torek 13. marca,
ob 13:00 uri v Veliki predavalnici IJS. Posnetke preteklih
seminarjev najdete na naslovu http://videolectures.net/solomon/

Tokrat bomo gostili Jureta Leskovca - nasega cloveka, ki studira na
Carnegie Mellon University v Pittsburghu. Predstavil bo svoje delo,
ki je bilo sicer objavljeno na vecih konferencah, na temo modeliranja
grafov oz. omreznih struktur.

Jure Leskovec:
         Modeling real-world networks using Kronecker multiplication

Given a large, real graph, how can we generate a synthetic
graph that matches its properties, i.e., it has similar degree
distribution, similar (small) diameter, similar spectrum, etc?

First, we propose a graph generator that is mathematically tractable
and generates realistic graphs. The main idea is to use a non-standard
matrix operation, the Kronecker product, to generate graphs that we
refer to as ``Kronecker graphs''. We show that Kronecker graphs
naturally obey all the above properties; in fact, we can rigorously
prove that they do so.

Once we have the model, we fit it to real graph to generate a synthetic
graph that matches its properties, i.e., it has similar degree distribution,
similar (small) diameter, similar spectrum, etc?

We present a fast and scalable algorithm for fitting the Kronecker graph
generation model to real networks. A naive approach to fitting would
take super-exponential time.  In contrast, our algorithm takes linear time,
by exploiting the structure of Kronecker matrix multiplication and by
using sampling.

Experiments on large real and synthetic graphs show that our approach
recovers the true parameters and indeed mimics very well the patterns
found in the target graphs. Once fitted, the model parameters and the
resulting synthetic graphs can be used for anonymization, extrapolations,
and graph summarization.