[Solomonov Seminar] 167. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Sun Jan 22 22:12:21 CET 2006

Vabim vas na 167. Solomonov seminar, ki bo v torek 24. januarja 2006
ob 13:00 uri v Veliki predavalnici IJS.

Tokrat bomo gostili Luisa Torga iz Univerze v Portu na Portugalskem,
ki bo predaval o motodah za napovedovanje redkih dogodkov.

Luis Torgo, University of Porto

     Non-Uniform Cost Surfaces for Predicting Rare Extreme Values

In this presentation we will address the problem of rare extreme values
prediction. Modeling extreme data is very important in several application
domains, like for instance finance, meteorology, ecology, etc.. Our target
applications have as main objective to be able to anticipate extreme values
of a continuous variable. The main distinguishing feature of these
applications resides on the fact that these values are rare. Any prediction
model is obtained by some sort of search process guided by a pre-specified
evaluation criterion. In this work we argue against the use of standard
criteria for evaluating regression models in the context of our target
applications.  We describe a new predictive performance metric for this class
of problems that our experiments show to perform better in distinguishing
models that are more accurate at rare extreme values. This new evaluation
metric can be used as the basis for developing better models in terms of rare
extreme values prediction. We also describe REC surfaces and REC maps that
are tools that can be used to visualize/compare the performance of regression
models in applications with non-uniform error costs.  These tools can be seen
as generalizations of REC curves (Bi & Bennet, ICML03) that introduce a
further degree of detail by plotting the cumulative distribution function of
the errors across the distribution of the target variable, i.e. the joint
cumulative distribution function of the errors and the target variable. This
provides a more detailed analysis of the performance of models when compared
to REC curves. This extra detail is particularly relevant in applications
with non-uniform error costs, where it is important to study the performance
of models for specific ranges of the target variable.