[Solomonov Seminar] 166. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Sun Jan 8 19:02:25 CET 2006

Vabim vas na 166. Solomonov seminar, ki bo v torek 10. januarja 2006
ob 13:00 uri v Veliki predavalnici IJS.

Tokrat bo Jure Leskovec, sicer nas sodelavec, ki dela doktorat na Carnegie Mellon University
v ZDA predstavil delo, ki bo verjetno zanimalo precej sirok krog poslusalcev -
gre za analizo kako funkcionira siritev informacije "od us do ust" pri cemer je analiziral
obsezno podatkovno bazo iz Amazona, tocneje Amazonov program "Share The Love".
Clanek lahko dobite na naslovu http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0509039

Jure Leskovec:
           The Dynamics of Viral Marketing

We present an analysis of a person-to-person recommendation network,
consisting of 4 million people who made 16 million recommendations
on half a million products. We observed the propagation of
recommendations and the cascade sizes, which can be explained by a
stochastic model. We then established how the recommendation network
grows over time and how effective it is from the viewpoint of the
sender and receiver of the recommendations. While on average
recommendations are not very effective at inducing purchases and do
not spread very far, there are product and pricing categories for
which viral marketing seems to be very effective.

This is a joint work with Lada Adamic and Bernardo Huberman from HP Labs.