[Solomonov Seminar] 158. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Mon Feb 21 01:45:43 CET 2005

Vabim vas na 158. Solomonov seminar, ki bo v torek 22. februarja 2005
ob 13:00 uri v Veliki predavalnici IJS. Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so
na http://solomon.ijs.si/

Na tokratnem seminarju bo gost iz Zeneve predstavil temo racunanja
distanc v relacijskih shemah.

Alexandros Kalousis, University of Geneva:

Distance based learning on relational algebra representations

We will present a general framework based on concepts of relational
algebra for distance based learning over relational schemata. The
advantage of the proposed framework is that it requires no
transformation of the representation of data that come in the form of
relational databases. It is directly applicable to any relational
database without the need of type and mode definitions and conversions
to logic programming as it is the case with most relational learning
systems based on Inductive Logic Programming.

Our framework builds on the notions of tuples of relations and sets of
tuples. We show how exploiting these elementary building blocks our
learning examples are represented via tree like structures. In order to
define distances between relational examples we will explore two
avenues. Both of them are based on the definition of simple operators on
tuples and sets of tuples which are subsequently combined in order to
provide a global operator on the full relational structure. The first
approach is based on the use of classical distances over tuples and sets
of tuples and the second one on the definition of kernels.

The user of the system has at his disposal a number of possible distance
operators from which he can choose, or alternatively, to what amounts to
something like model selection, can let the system perform the selection
automatically.  Some results on well known relational datasets will be
presented.