[Solomonov Seminar] 284. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Mon Jan 15 11:33:12 CET 2018

V torek, 16. januarja 2018 (jutri) bo ob 13h v Veliki predavalnici IJS
284. Solomonov seminar. Velika predavalnica je v prvem nadstropju glavne
stavbe IJS na Jamovi 39. Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na
http://videolectures.net/solomon/

Luis Torgo, University of Porto

Title: Arbitrage of Forecasting Experts

Abstract:

Forecasting is an important task across several domains. Its generalised
interest is related to the uncertainty and evolving structure of time
series. Forecasting methods are typically designed to cope with temporal
dependencies among observations. In this paper we propose a novel
approach  where several forecasting models are dynamically combined to
make a predictions.

We propose a dynamic ensemble method based on arbitrating. Arbitrating
is a metalearning approach that combines the output of experts according
to predictions of the loss that they will incur. Within the arbitrage
method we present an approach for retrieving out-of-bag predictions that
significantly improves its data efficiency. Finally, we propose a method
for explicitly handling the interdependence between experts when
aggregating their predictions.

We present extensive empirical evidence for the competitiveness of the
proposed method relative to state of the art approaches. Our method is
publicly available as a software package.