[Solomonov Seminar] 280. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Wed Jul 5 17:22:44 CEST 2017

V ponedeljek 10. julija 2017 bo ob 12:00 v Oranzni predavalnici IJS 280.
Solomonov seminar. Predavalnica je v drugem nadstropju glavne stavbe IJS
na Jamovi 39. Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na
http://videolectures.net/solomon/

Nikola Ljubešić, IJS & University of Zagreb
http://nlp.ffzg.hr/people/nikola-ljubesic/

Title:
Processing social media data:
can we circumvent the Tower of Babel?

Abstract:
Social media are known to be a diverse and rich source of information
for various areas of research. However, they pose a series of processing
challenges due to the linguistic and cultural diversity of their users.
Processing social media texts with standard language technologies has an
error rate much higher than that on standard texts. Furthermore,
researchers are regularly in need of additional user data like their
sociodemographic information. In the first part of my talk I will
present a series of technology adaptations for processing varying
language production, while in the second part I will overview some
experiments on language-independent user profiling such as user type
identification and gender prediction.