[Solomonov Seminar] 272. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Wed Mar 2 20:46:28 CET 2016

V četrtek 3. februarja 2016 bo ob 15:00 v Oranzni predavalnici IJS 272.
Solomonov seminar. Oranzna predavalnica je v drugem nadstropju glavne
stavbe IJS. Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na
http://videolectures.net/solomon/

Primož Škraba, IJS:

Naslov: How much structure do we see in noise (a topological perspective)?

Povzetek:
Exploratory data analysis is the search for patterns in sampled data. In
this talk, I will concentrate on geometric data, where structure often
takes the form of certain shapes representing constraints in the system
generating the data. For example, a sphere for normalized data or a
closed curve representing a periodic system. Recent topological
techniques can help us find this type of structure.

A natural question then is: what is a reasonable null hypothesis for
this type of structure? In this talk, I will describe recent results
characterizing how much structure we expect to find if we sample noise,
which we take here to be a Poisson point process, also known as a
completely spatially random model. No previous knowledge of point
processes or topology will be assumed. I will overview classical results
from random geometric graphs and present our results for higher
dimensional analogues.