[Solomonov Seminar] 267. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Tue Jan 13 20:38:02 CET 2015

V sredo 14. januarja 2015 bo ob 13h Oranzni predavalnici IJS 267.
Solomonov seminar. Oranzna predavalnica je v drugem nadstropju glavne
stavbe IJS. Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na
http://videolectures.net/solomon/

Tokrat bomo gostili Wraya Buntinea, ki se ukvarja z umetno inteligenco
in strojnim ucenjem. Wray je studiral v Edinburghu, deloval v San
Franciscu, kasneje v Helsinkih, v zadnjem obdobju pa je v Avstraliji
direktor instituta NICTA. Z IJS je sodeloval na vrsti projektov. Tema
predavanja bojo "Topic Models" za modeliranje besedila in omrezij.

Speaker: Wray Buntine, Monash University, NICTA, Australia

Title:    Experiments with Non-parametric Topic Models

This talk will cover some of our recent work in extended topic models to
serve as tools in text mining and NLP (and hopefully, later, in IR) when
some semantic analysis is required.  In some sense our goals are akin to
the use of Latent Semantic Analysis. The basic theoretical/algorithmic
tool we have for this is non-parametric Bayesian methods for reasoning
on hierarchies of probability vectors.
The concepts will be introduced but not the statistical detail. Then
I'll present some of our KDD 2014 paper (Experiments with Non-parametric
Topic Models), and some extended work such as "Bibliographic Analysis
with the Citation Network Topic Model" (ACML 2014) and "Topic
Segmentation with a Structured Topic Model" (NAACL 2013).  Various
evaluations and comparisons will be made.  The fully non-parametric
topic model with burstiness is currently the best performing published
model by a number of measures and is only a small factor slower in speed
(and small factor larger in memory) than standard LDA implementations.