[Solomonov Seminar] 256. Solomonov seminar

Mateja Zver mateja.zver at ijs.si
Thu Jun 6 09:36:40 CEST 2013

V četrtek, 6. junija bo ob 13h v Veliki predavalnici IJS
(prvo nadstropje glavne stavbe) 256. Solomonov seminar.
Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na http://videolectures.net/solomon/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Speaker: Pierre Geurts
http://www.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/~geurts/

Title: Gene regulatory network inference using tree-based ensemble methods

Abstract:
One of the pressing open problems of computational systems biology is
the elucidation of the topology of genetic regulatory networks. In this
talk, we first present a method, called GENIE3, for the unsupervised
inference of gene regulatory networks from expression data. This method
decomposes the prediction of a regulatory network between p genes into p
different feature selection (regression) problems and solves each of
these problems using feature importance scores obtained from tree-based
ensemble methods such as Random Forests. After a presentation of the
method, we discuss its performance in the context of the Dialogue for
Reverse Engineering Assessments and Methods (DREAM) challenges, which is
an annual international competition aiming at the evaluation of GRN
inference algorithms on benchmarks of simulated and real data. GENIE3
was best performer on the DREAM4 In Silico Multifactorial challenge and
on the DREAM5 Network Inference challenge. We then present two
adaptations of the method for handling time series expression and
systems genetics data. In the latter case, the good performance of the
method is illustrated on the data from the DREAM5 systems genetics
challenge and the more recent StatSeq benchmark.