[Solomonov Seminar] 253. Solomonov seminar

Mateja Zver mateja.zver at ijs.si
Tue May 7 08:30:58 CEST 2013

V torek, 7. maja bo ob 13h v Veliki predavalnici IJS
(prvo nadstropje glavne stavbe) 253. Solomonov seminar.
Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na http://videolectures.net/solomon/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ljupčo Kocarev
Macedonian Academy of Sciences and Arts, Skopje, Macedonia

The influence of the network’s structure on the dynamics of spreading
processes has been extensively studied in the last decade. Important
results that partially answer this question show a weak connection
between the macroscopic behavior of these processes and specific
structural properties in the network, such as the largest eigenvalue of
a topology related matrix. However, little is known about the direct
influence of the network topology on the microscopic level, such as the
influence of the (neighboring) network on the probability of a
particular node’s infection. To answer this question, we derive both an
upper and a lower bound for the probability that a particular node is
infective in a susceptible-infective-susceptible model for two cases of
spreading processes: reactive and contact processes. The bounds are
derived by considering the n-hop neighborhood of the node; the bounds
are tighter as one uses a larger n-hop neighborhood to calculate them.
Consequently, using local information for different neighborhood sizes,
we assess the extent to which the topology influences the spreading
process, thus providing also a strong macroscopic connection between the
former and the latter. Our findings are complemented by numerical
results for a real-world email network. A very good estimate for the
infection density is obtained using only two-hop neighborhoods, which
account for 0.4% of the entire network topology on average.

--
Jozef Stefan Institute
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory