[Solomonov Seminar] 249. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Fri Nov 2 11:12:33 CET 2012

V torek, 6. novembra bo ob 11h v Oranzni predavalnici IJS
(drugo nadstropje glavne stavbe) 249. Solomonov seminar.
Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na http://videolectures.net/solomon/

Tokrat bo predstavila svoje delo Natasa Przulj na temo
pridobivanja informacij iz topologije omrezja.

Natasa Przulj, Imperial College, London

Title: "Network topology as a source of information"

Abstract:
Many real-world phenomena can be represented as networks of
interconnected entities.  For example, individual genes are just a means
to an end: they produce proteins that interact in complex networked ways
and make our cells work.  Hence, using protein interaction networks
(PINs) to predict protein function and involvement in disease has
received much attention in the post-genomic era.  We develop novel
measures of network topology to predict function of unannotated proteins
in the human PIN.  We find that human genes involved in key biological
processes and pathways, such as aging, cancer, infectious diseases,
signaling and drug-targeted pathways, occupy regions of the network that
correspond to its “spine” that connects all other network parts and can
thus pass cellular signals fast throughout the network.  We design
methods that harvest information from network topology and gain new
biological information, such as suggest novel drug targets for
therapeutic intervention.  For example, our network-based predictions of
novel proteins that participate in melanogenesis in human cells are
phenotypically validated.