[Solomonov Seminar] 208. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik at ijs.si
Mon May 18 01:40:22 CEST 2009

V torek 19. maja bo ob 13h v Veliki predavalnici IJS
(prvo nadstropje glavne zgradbe), 208. Solomonov seminar.
Posnetki preteklih seminarjev so na http://videolectures.net/solomon/

Predavala bo Biljana Mileva Boskoska iz Univerze Cirila in Metoda
v Skopju in IJS-MPS o napovedovanju onesnazenja zraka.

Biljana Mileva Boskoska:
  Comparison of prediction models for air pollution using SVM and RBF neural networks

Science deals with modeling of ecological systems in order to explore or improve the
environmental conditions in which we live. Air is one segment in the environment that
is very important for the health of people and it is widely used by scientists for prediction
of its pollution.

The problem of air pollution is a worldwide problem that exists for centuries. Recently,
a lot of studies have been done on examining the impacts of pollution of ozone and nitrogen
oxides onto the health of people and the environment. The main observed problems are in
the process of precise and on-time monitoring. Our goal is to define tools for prediction
of air pollution based on historical data. We used two techniques: support vector machines
and radial basis function neural networks. Using the data from one monitoring station,
we evaluate the efficiency and the accuracy of both approaches in the process of predicting
the air pollution in the next 24 to 240 hours. A detailed overview of the parameter selection
process is given for each of the approaches.