[Solomonov Seminar] 76. Solomonov seminar

Marko Grobelnik marko.grobelnik@ijs.si
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:02:02 +0100

Vabim vas na 76. Solomonov seminar, ki bo v torek, 2.aprila.2001
ob 13.uri v (!!!) fizikalnem seminarju IJS (v pritlicju glavne zgradbe IJS).
Posnetke in materiale preteklih seminarjev si lahko
ogledate na http://solomon.ijs.si/

Na tokratnem seminarju bosta Nada Lavrac in Peter Flach
predstavila lastno delo iz podrocja strojnega ucenja.
Problem, ki ga resujeta, je kako najti v mnozici podatkov
neko podmnozico, ki na tak ali drugacen nacin izstopa.

Nada Lavrac and Peter Flach:
    Subgroup discovery and rule evaluation in ROC space

Traditionally, machine learning has focussed on induction of
classification and prediction rules. More recently, non-predictive or
descriptive induction is gaining substantial interest of machine
learning researchers. Two major trends in descriptive induction are
association rule learning and subgroup discovery. In this seminar we
present our recent work in descriptive induction. We also argue that
accuracy is not always an appropriate evaluation measure in the
descriptive induction framework, and propose quality measures
designed for subgroup evaluation in ROC space. After a brief
presentation of the APRIORI-C and SD-algorithm, we give a
detailed presentation of the CN2-SD algorithm, which includes a
new -- weighted -- covering algorithm, a new search heuristic
(weighted relative accuracy), probabilistic classification of instances,
and a new measure for evaluating the results of subgroup discovery
(area under ROC curve).

The presented work was done in collaboration with V. Jovanoski
(APRIORI-C), D. Gamberger (SD-algorithm), B. Kavsek and
L. Todorovski (CN2-SD algorithm).

Our research was supported by the Slovenian Ministry of Education,
Science and Sport, the IST-1999-11495 project Data Mining and
Decision Support for Business Competitiveness: A European Virtual
Enterprise, and the British Council project Partnership in Science PSP-18.