[SlovLit] Tuje življenje in antropomorfizem v živalskem pisanju -- Jack Zipes -- Strategije upora

Miran Hladnik hladnikmiran na gmail.com
Čet Mar 14 15:07:10 CET 2019

http://www.ludliteratura.si/kritika-komentar/to-je-pravica-clovek-kakor-si-jo-bil-sam-ustvaril/#comment-813
-- komentar Igorja Krambergerja na članek Anje Radaljac o Cankarjevih
živalskih črticah Tuje življenje (re:
https://mailman.ijs.si/pipermail/slovlit/2019/006618.html).

---

https://litlab.stanford.edu/events/ -- v četrtek 14. marca pa na
stanfordskem LiteraryLabu Vicky Googasian in Ryan Heuser predavata na
temo Digital Animal Studies: Modeling Anthropomorphism in Animal
Writing, 1870-1930. Povezavo na prosojnice za predavanje objavim, če
pride.

"Is an animal a person? The question is far from idle; it is fraught
with urgent ethical and legal consequences for animal welfare, and it
shapes scientific norms for the study of animal behavior. It also
remains a constant theme in Western philosophy from Rene Descartes
through present-day Critical Animal Studies. However, lawyers,
philosophers, and ethologists are not the only deciders in this
question: cultural representations of animals also mediate their
relation to personhood. Fiction, for instance, excels in the
representation of human individuality, interiority, and action;
complex, “round” characters of course populate the long history of
prose fiction. How, then, does fiction engage with the personhood of
animals? In fiction, when is an animal a character? What do animals do
in the pages of fiction? Do they make decisions, have feelings,
express interiority? Do animals function more similarly to human
characters, or to things, objects, and machines? In this presentation,
we will begin to approach these questions with computational methods.
In a variety of corpora—from popular natural history to scientific
writing about animal behavior to animal-driven fictions historically
accused of anthropomorphism—we compare the semantic and syntactic
footprints left behind by animals and humans. We discover that, from a
computational standpoint, animals in fiction are indeed recognizable
as characters, albeit characters more likely to register
intentionality through physical movement over speech and to display a
mental paradigm colored by instinct and associative learning. Natural
history writing, on the other hand, narrates animals in ways that seem
surprisingly human-like when compared to animal representations in
fiction more broadly. Ultimately, our results suggest the many
dimensions of anthropomorphism and the variety of scales at which it
operates."

===