Predavanje prof. Eliasa Klemma z Univerze v Stuttgartu, torek, 18.9.2012 ob 13.00 uri na Kemijskem inštitutu

Brigita Pirc brigita.pirc at ki.si
Mon Sep 10 13:59:36 CEST 2012

VABILO NA PREDAVANJE /  INVITATION TO THE LECTURE

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Elias Klemm
Institute of Chemical Technology University of Stuttgart, Germany

Torek/Tuesday, 18. 09. 2012,  ob/at 13:00
Velika predavalnica na Kemijskem institute Hajdrihova 19, Ljubljana

Are Metal Organic Frameworks Appropriate Catalysts for Hydrogenation and Oxidation Reactions?

Metal Organic Frameworks (MOFs) are crystalline organic-inorganic hybrid materials with a regular pore structure similar to zeolites. Thus, this class of materials possesses potentials as solid catalysts. Compared to solely inorganic zeolite materials new design concepts are possible for metal organic frameworks as catalysts, namely by the inspiration through biocatalysis and/or molecular catalysis. Thus, together with partners from organic and inorganic chemistry we try to design MOFs which mimic bio or molecular catalysts. In the case of oxidation with molecular oxygen we used particulate methane monooxygenase as inspiration for the design of appropriate MOF catalysts. In the case of hydrogenation with molecular hydrogen or transfer hydrogenation with isopropanol we used the mechanisms of molecular catalysis (e.g. of Wilkinson catalysts) as inspiration. Catalytic measurements have been performed and interpreted on the basis of the before mentioned unifying concept between the catalysis disciplines.
Catalytic activities of MOFs in hydrogenation and oxidation have been also demonstrated in literature. However, leaching of metal centers or reduction of the metal sites to metal nanoparticles have not been considered sufficiently from a chemical engineering point of view. Our work shows that with MOFs the local concentrations at the active sites have to be carefully controlled in order to guarantee long-term stability of the MOF catalysts. This has consequences also for the reactor design and the operation conditions.

Vljudno vabljeni! / Kindly invited!

Information : kaucic at ki.si<mailto:kaucic at ki.si>