[kolokvij-ijs] petek 18.1.02, velika predavalnica ob 13h, Kolokviji na IJS (prof. Angus I. Kingon) - VABILO

Eva Tozon eva.tozon@ijs.si
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:36:56 +0100

		VABILO

	Institut "Jožef Stefan", Jamova 39, Ljubljana
	v PETEK, 18.1.2002 ob 13.uri, v veliki predavalnici IJS
	vabi NA KOLOKVIJ.

Predaval bo:

prof. Angus I. Kingon,
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695, USA

	Naslov:

	Ferroelectric Nonvolatile Memories: The Science and the Struggle to
Commercialize
	FEROELEKTRIČNI SPOMINI: OD TEMELJNIH ZNANOSTI DO BITKE ZA KOMERCIALIZACIJO

Vsebina:

For a number of years, the class of materials known as ferroelectrics have
been considered to be a candidate for a nonvolatile memory (ie a mainstream
memory which does not lose its information when power is switched off).
The first part of the presentation begins with a brief discussion of why
this type of memory is urgently required, followed by a presentation of the
principles of operation of the memory using ferroelectric materials. We
discuss the (rocky) road to commercialization, comparing the approach to
that more usually adopted for other Si-based devices. We show that the major
reason for the difficulty in commercialization is due to an underestimation
of the complexity of the materials, and we give examples of this issue. We
view this to be a problem that will recur, as Si-based semiconductor
technology needs to adopt materials from other fields in order to maintain
performance increases.
At the same time, consistent research in thin films of ferroelectric
materials has provided a solid basis of scientific understanding. In the
second part of the talk, an overview is given of this science base. In
particular, differences between bulk and thin films of ferroelectric lead
zirconate titanate (PZT) are presented.
The presentation concludes with a mention of new technologies, such as
magnetic RAM (MRAM), which are viewed as competitive.

Predavanje bo v angleščini.
VLJUDNO VABLJENI!